The project bwHPC-C5 offers general and science specific user support for high performance computing. The currently established five HPC competence centers are covering the following research fields:
The HPC competence centers are organized by the Universities Mannheim/Heidelberg, Ulm, Freiburg, Tübingen as well as KIT, whereas the support team of each competence center unite experts of all Baden-Württembergs's universities. Moreover, the HPC competence center for "general sciences supply" is appropriate for all sciences utilizing HPC that are not covered by any of the other 4 HPC competence centers.
The HPC competence center activities and measures include:
- federated coordinating and conducting of HPC teaching and training courses and workshops;
- establishing generic and science specific support services such as:
- a Wiki including user guides, FAQs and best practice guides
- a federated support portal (i.e., ticket system);
- aiding users' (code) migration activities (from former HPC or Desktop infrastructure to bwHPC infrastructure) as well as code parallelization activities;
- expanding HPC competence center's scientific orientation and integrating further scientific areas to the bwHPC infrastructure;
- identifying and supporting users with the capability to ascend to higher HPC tiers;
- providing a substantial scientific software portfolio; and
- identifying and implementing optimization measures.