User and science support are provided by federated HPC competence centers rather than by particular university service desks. Although coordinated by a dedicated university, HPC competence centers pool expertise and support of all Baden-Württemberg's universities, hence federated support. Currently 5 HPC competence centers have been established, specifically covering the following sciences:
The HPC competence center for "general sciences supply" is appropriate for all sciences utilizing HPC that are not covered by any of the other 4 HPC competence centers.
All HPC competence centers will:
- aid new users to access Baden-Württemberg's HPC systems;
- coordinate and conduct state-wide teaching courses and workshops covering know-how in dealing with Baden-Württemberg's HPC systems;
- produce and maintain an extensive documentation;
- provide a cluster independent, unified work environment and tools to simplify HPC cluster access and software usage;
- provide tools to manage (e.g. process or archive) scientific data;
- enable embedding of HPC innovations, and
- aid user's code porting and code parallelization activities supporting user's capability to utilize higher HPC tiers.